Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Greetings from Germany.....

  So after three months we have finally finished our transatlantic adventure and have started making our home in beautiful Bavaria.  Admittedly, we still have a couple of boxes left to unpack but for the most part our new place is starting to feel like home.

  Our little Georges are settling into routines and we will be starting our homeschooling in about a week and half.   We have been able to explore a couple of the town nearby.  Driving is not too bad here.  The autobahn is not as scary as one might think until you realize that it is just like being on the freeway system back in the states.
 
 The last three months have not been without some type of crafting.  I managed to make a mixed media canvas while we were living in the on post hotel and make a few cards.





(I used water color pencils to color in the image.
Stamped image from Tiddly Inks)

Not the best pictures of either projects but I do what I can with what I have to work with.

Til Next Time, Stay Crafty Friends...

~Mia

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Krazy Island ATC Swap

I wanted to do one last artsy project before all of my supplies are packed for 2-3 months while we make the journey overseas (the first set of packers and movers arrive today EEK!!)  While I was watching and surfing YouTube for various Mixed Media tutorials I came across Claudia Rossi's channel and her video posting info about the swap (this swap is now closed).

I have never made an ATC before let alone participated in any type of swap.  I figured making ATCs would be a fun way to go out artistically per say, for the time being (I am trying to put together a TSA "approved" art kit that will allow me to do some art journaling during our travels).

First things first an ATC card is 2 1/2 by 3 1/2.  The theme of the swap was "What does Spring mean to you?"  Spring for me first and foremost means rain and color not to mention allergies but really that might be kind of gross yet interesting to interpret onto a tiny piece of art.  Hmmmmmm allergy related ATCs.......Anyway, I started off by creating a mock up of my card in my Silhouette design studio.  Once I had my clouds and rain drops figured out I cut a cloud stencil and die cut out of transparency along with the rain drops.  I decided to paint my clouds with some OPI nail polish (this was a color I received in one of my monthly ISPY bags) it has some type of grit already in and I thought it would create great dimension for my cards.


Then I sprayed Dylusion Ink Sprays onto a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of white textured card stock by AC.  I painted the centered of the page with white gesso.  Once dried I cut up the paper into my ATC backgrounds.


At this point I still had no idea what direction I was going to go with my ATCs. I decided to draw out a crazy black and white frame to my ATC background.   After drawing it on I decided to cut out more ATCs out of transparency and decided they would be a front piece for my cards.  To the top transparency I glued down my clouds and created my raindrops from alcohol ink and modeling paste.

Again I back at a point where I have no idea what direction my cards are going in. You can see that I taped my transparency tops over the colored background. Admittedly my cards sat this way for a couple of days.  I went back and forth on the whole design concept.  I went through all my spring'ish stamps looking for something that just felt right.  It was not until I was taking a box out to our yard sale that I saw the perfect flower patch stamp.  So much for downsizing.  I did some hemming and hawing until I decided on stamping the image onto the transparency itself with archival black ink.   Since the transparency is not a porous surface I let them sit for 24 hours.  I tested the smearability (I know that is not a word but hey this is my little corner of the interwebs sorry) of the ink on my 6th card and though it still smeared a little it was not a complete rub off job.  Success (in my book at least).  Then came the challenge of how to color the flowers.  Paint was a no go I am not that good with fine painting.  So I stamped the image on some white index cards and used watercolors to paint in the flowers and leaves.  Then I proceeded to "fussy" cut out each leave and flower and glue them to the back side of the transparency.  I added a little dollop of yellow stickles to the center of each flower on the front of the transparency.



Once again my cards sat waiting for some finishing inspiration.  How was I going to attach the transparency to the background and what was the missing piece to tie them both together.  That answer came from another box of supplies that had been hidden inadvertently yet destined for the yard sale.  

A Sue Dreamer stamp saying "Look forward to everything"  I decided to stamp it onto the background in archival black but not color it in.  The revelation of attaching the two pieces came from packing up my crop a dile.  I punched a hole in the top left corner added a sky blue brad and then painted over it with the OPI nail polish to blend it in the cloud.

My results:



Overall I am pleased with how my very first ATCs came out.  I hope that it brings a smile to the ladies who are receiving them.  Thank you for stopping by!

Til Next Time
~Mia